After the turn of the Century, the borders of the Village began to expand to the North and South at a rapid rate, and additional fire companies were needed. Reliance Hose Company No. 3 was organized in February of 1908 to serve the northerly section of the village. Their name was derived from the Company Motto “Rely on Us.”
The Company members elected William A. Zimmerman as the first Foreman and Franke P. Vanderwater, Assistant Foreman. As time went on, Reliance saw countless apparatus changes and in 1972 the new firehouse was opened next door to the old one on N Forest Avenue. In the early 1990’s the company received a 2nd piece of firefighting apparatus used for car accidents, propane emergencies, and water emergencies. With the added responsibility, and the company’s continuous strong firefighting operation, the company came up with a new slogan “First Out First In” which represents its quick response times. The first ones out of the firehouse and first ones into the fire.
Reliance still stands proud and operates out of the N Forest Avenue firehouse with units 443, 4434, and 443marine.